News | International
30 Nov 2025 8:39
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Trump floats death penalty for Democrats urging military to refuse illegal orders

    Six Democratic politicians, all of whom are veterans, are urging members of the military not to obey unlawful orders.


    US President Donald Trump says six Democratic politicians, all of whom are veterans, have committed seditious behaviour punishable by death after they urged members of the military not to obey unlawful orders.

    In a video posted on X, the Democratic politicians urge current members of the US military and spy agencies to refuse illegal orders and to defend the constitution.

    [EL VIDEO: Slotkin]

    The video was posted by Senator Elissa Slotkin, a former CIA officer, on November 18 and has so far been viewed more than 12 million times.

    On his Truth Social page, Mr Trump responded by saying "this is really bad, and Dangerous to our Country".

    "Their words cannot be allowed to stand. SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR FROM TRAITORS!!! LOCK THEM UP???

    "SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR, punishable by DEATH!"

    Mr Trump also reposted a number of comments on his page about the video, including one calling for the politicians to be hanged.

    Some Democrats were quick to condemn the president's posts, with Senator Chris Coons urging Republicans to "swiftly condemn this".

    "The administration should never try to force our servicemembers to carry out an illegal order," he said.

    "Calling for the execution of senators and Congressmembers for reminding our troops of that is chilling behavior."

    Democrats and Republicans clash over video

    Those who appear in the video alongside Ms Slotkin include former astronaut and navy captain Senator Mark Kelly, as well as US House representatives Chris Deluzio, Maggie Goodlander, Chrissy Houlahan, and Jason Crow, all of whom have previous experience in either the military or intelligence community.

    In the video, they said: "This administration is putting our uniformed military and intelligence community professionals against American citizens."

    "Right now, the threats to our constitution aren't just coming from abroad, but from right here at home," they added.

    "You can refuse illegal orders," Senator Kelly said.

    The video has sparked backlash from some Republicans, with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the six politicians suffered from "Stage 4 TDS", referring to "Trump Derangement Syndrome".

    White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller accused them of inciting an "insurrection".

    In response, Senator Kelly said he knew "the difference between defending our Constitution and an insurrection, even if you don't".

    A group of more than 300 former national security officials calling themselves the "Steady State" said in an open letter on Thursday that they strongly supported the six Democrats.

    Trump confronts increasing domestic pressure

    Since being inaugurated to his second term, Mr Trump has deployed National Guard troops to several cities controlled by Democrats.

    The move to deploy reservists to American cities has been criticised as an abuse of power. 

    In September, a judge ruled that the Trump administration "wilfully" ignored the law when it ordered National Guard troops to Los Angeles earlier this year during immigration raids and subsequent protests.

    Since first deploying troops to LA, the president has also sent forces to other major American cities, including Chicago, Washington DC and Memphis.

    The Trump administration has also faced criticism over strikes on what it claims are vessels smuggling drugs in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Carribean Sea.

    More than 80 people have been killed in those military strikes since September, and experts say the strikes are illegal and amount to extrajudicial killings even if they target known traffickers.

    Mr Trump's comments come as the US president faces increasing pressure domestically on a number of fronts, including sharply declining personal approval ratings and criticism over his handling of the Epstein files. 

    After changing tack on his long-held opposition to releasing files relating to the convicted sex offender, Mr Trump signed a bill on Wednesday into law requiring his attorney-general, Pam Bondi, to release all unclassified records within 30 days.


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Nov: Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy
     30 Nov: South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India
     29 Nov: About 90 Jetstar flights cancelled due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes
     29 Nov: Oscar Piastri fastest qualifier for Qatar F1 sprint race, with championship leader Lando Norris third
     29 Nov: Imran Khan's son and political allies concerned about his health amid block on prison visits
     29 Nov: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff, has resigned following an anti-corruption raid on his home
     29 Nov: Hong Kong tower residents had safety complaints more than 12 months before deadly fires
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy 8:27

    Hockey:
    The New Zealand men's have lost to Belgium 5-1 in their final pool match at 2025 Sultan of Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia  8:17

    Entertainment:
    Jodie Sweetin first drank alcohol at Cadance Cameron Bure's wedding when she was just 14 8:08

    Soccer:
    Auckland United have achieved their third consecutive women's national league title with a one-nil win over Eastern Suburbs in their final in Auckland 8:07

    Motoring:
    Kiwi Formula One driver Liam Lawson will start 12th on the grid for tomorrow's Qatar Grand Prix 7:57

    Motoring:
    Chaz Mostert has kept his Supercars title hopes alive after a remarkable drive in the penultimate race of the season in Adelaide 7:47

    Entertainment:
    Sir David Beckham amuses fans by recreating his "be honest" moment from his documentary 7:38

    Rugby:
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff 7:37

    Motoring:
    Qualifying is underway for Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 7:27

    Soccer:
    Sunderland is a surprise fourth in the English Premier League after a 3-2 win over Bournemouth 7:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd