News | International
1 Dec 2025 1:59
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Children removed from Australian-British couple living off-grid in Italian forest

    The family's alternative lifestyle came under scrutiny after the British-Australian couple and their three children were hospitalised last year with mushroom poisoning.


    The children of an Australian mother living off-grid in an Italian forest have been removed by local authorities, after the family came under scrutiny when they were hospitalised due to eating poisonous mushrooms. 

    A juvenile court in the Italian city of L'Aquila ruled last week to place the three children of Australian woman Catherine Birmingham and her British husband Nathan Trevallion into protective care.

    The court cited poor sanitary conditions at the family's home in the mountainous Abruzzo region and unauthorised homeschooling of their eight-year-old daughter and six-year-old twin boys, according to AFP.

    Ms Birmingham, a life coach and former horse riding teacher from Melbourne, bought the farmhouse in 2021 with Mr Trevallion, a former chef from Bristol.

    They were raising the children in the woodland home without mains electricity, water or gas, relying instead on solar power, well water and homegrown food.

    "The members of the Trevallion family have no social interactions, no steady income," the court said in its written ruling.

    "There are no sanitary facilities in the dwelling and the children do not attend school."

    Reuters has reported the family's alternative lifestyle came to the attention of police last year after the whole family was hospitalised with mushroom poisoning.

    The court suspended the couple's parental responsibility on Thursday and ordered the children be transferred to a protective home.

    Ms Birmingham was allowed to accompany the children to their new accommodation after the couple's lawyer argued her presence was needed to limit the children's trauma.

    Local media had reported the children were not vaccinated and the parents failed to submit their request for homeschooling to Italian authorities.

    But Italy's education ministry issued a statement on Monday saying "compulsory schooling has been regularly completed through home education," which is legal in Italy, according to news agencies.

    The couple defended their lifestyle as "one without stress" and said their children were "growing up better" in a recent interview with Italy's public broadcaster Rai.

    "The children are happy, healthy. We haven't done anything wrong if we want to return to nature," Ms Birmingham told Rai in broken Italian this month.

    Mr Trevallion told local newspaper Il Centro on Friday the children's removal was "the worst night of my life".

    "Taking children away from a parent is the greatest pain there is … it's an injustice," he said.

    The case has also sparked intense debate in Italy over alternative lifestyles and more than 135,000 people have signed an online petition backing the family.

    Italy's deputy prime minister Matteo Salvini and head of the far-right League party condemned the court decision, saying it was "shameful that the state interferes in private education and personal life choices".

    The Magistrates' associations have defended the ruling to remove the children.

    "We reject any form of exploitation expressed in recent days by some political factions and the media, which fail to consider the complexity and sensitivity of the rights in question," said the Italian Association of Magistrates for Minors and for the Family.

    In a press release, it said the court's decision came after a year-long observation period "during which the court's orders were systematically disregarded by the parents".

    In an online fundraiser launched prior to the children's removal, Ms Birmingham said the family was "met by the controlling forces" of Italy's Carabinieri military police and social services in September 2024 and "forced to flee our property and home due to threats of our children being taken".

    "This horrific experience has caused us to stand and fight for our rights under Natural Law to live off-grid and raise our children from home in nature," she wrote.

    A lawyer for the parents, Giovanni Angelucci, did not respond to AFP's requests for comment.

    ABC/wires

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Nov: Indonesia flood death toll climbs amid cyclone devastation
     30 Nov: Ukraine hits two Russian 'shadow fleet' oil tankers with naval drones in the Black Sea
     30 Nov: Em Rusciano on finding balance in life after her ADHD and autism diagnoses
     30 Nov: Surfers set to pay to ride Fiji's world-class breaks after repeal of surf access law
     30 Nov: Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy
     30 Nov: Thai PM admits flood failures after trapped victims wait days for help
     30 Nov: Oscar Piastri wins Qatar F1 sprint race, qualifies fastest for GP, edging closer to Lando Norris in standings
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after being red carded for eye gouging in the record 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Our sheep meat exports hit record value in October More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Indonesia flood death toll climbs amid cyclone devastation 23:27

    International:
    Ukraine hits two Russian 'shadow fleet' oil tankers with naval drones in the Black Sea 23:27

    Politics:
    Labour Leader Chris Hipkins says its latest health policy addresses the most common barrier to starting up a GP clinic 21:57

    Environment:
    MetService has issued a strong wind watch overnight for Wellington and Canterbury 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Millie Bobby Brown had to hide her "wedding hair" while shooting the final season of Stranger Things 21:08

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's wife says he's "bouncing back" during his cancer battle 20:38

    Entertainment:
    Will Young has credited his dogs with improving his mental health because they are "consistent companions and fiercely loyal" 20:08

    Entertainment:
    Robert Irwin admits dating is "so challenging to navigate" in the public eye 19:38

    Entertainment:
    Sean 'Diddy' Combs' rapper son King Combs believes the disgraced star could be released from prison in time for the holidays 19:08

    Living & Travel:
    Biosecurity's escalating its effort to eradicate yellow-legged hornets, following continued detections on Auckland's North Shore 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd