News | International
18 Feb 2026 19:22
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US military says 11 men killed in strikes on alleged drug smuggling boats

    The strikes are the latest in a string of US strikes on boats in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea targeting what Donald Trump alleges are drug trafficking operations.


    The US military says 11 people are dead after it carried out strikes on three vessels in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.

    In a post on X, the US Southern Command said the three vessels struck "were transiting along known narco-trafficking routes and were engaged in narco-trafficking operations".

    "Eleven male narco-terrorists were killed during these actions, 4 on the first vessel in the Eastern Pacific, 4 on the second vessel in the Eastern Pacific, and 3 on the third vessel in the Caribbean,' it said, adding that no US forces were harmed.

    [EL TWEET: Southern command]

    The strikes took place late Monday, local time, and vision published on X by the Southern Command shows missiles striking various vessels. 

    The boats are then shown on fire in the water.

    The US military did not provide evidence of the alleged drug trafficking.

    The attacks are the latest in a string of operations carried out in the waters of the eastern Pacific and Caribbean in what the US government says are attempts to prevent drug smugglers from reaching the United States.

    US President Donald Trump has previously justified the attacks as a necessary step to clamp down on the drug trafficking trade.

    But the military operations have attracted scrutiny from members of the US Congress, with concerns some of the strikes may constitute war crimes.

    Since taking office for the second time in January last year, Mr Trump has dramatically increased US interventions in Central and South America.

    In early January, US forces seized Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro and flew him to New York, where he was charged with a number of offences, including nacro-terrorism conspiracy.


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     18 Feb: Equal time rule leads CBS to pull Stephen Colbert's James Talarico interview
     18 Feb: Is it ever a good idea to stay together for the kids?
     18 Feb: Australia's most successful Winter Olympics coach Peter McNiel and how his moguls team led the Milano Cortina gold rush
     18 Feb: Iran announces temporary closure of Strait of Hormuz during US nuclear talks
     18 Feb: Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission
     18 Feb: Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11
     18 Feb: Aerials delay is not unusual, as snow causes chaos at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Leicester Fainga'anuku's been benched for Sunday's Super Rugby clash between the Crusaders and Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank says inflation's too high, but it's actually worried it could soon end up too low More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Equal time rule leads CBS to pull Stephen Colbert's James Talarico interview 19:17

    Entertainment:
    Ted Danson has revealed Cheers was almost cancelled during its first season 18:57

    Business:
    The Reserve Bank says inflation's too high, but it's actually worried it could soon end up too low 18:57

    Health & Safety:
    Pharmac's being urged to give blood cancer patients assurance on what treatments are being funded in the coming years 18:37

    Entertainment:
    Savannah Guthrie dec lared "it's never too late to do the next right thing" as she made a fresh appeal for her mother's safe return 18:27

    Rugby League:
    Tiger Woods could be a contender for the US Ryder Cup golf captaincy next year 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Wiz Khalifa has been left devastated by his father's "sudden" death after he "decided not to wake up" 17:57

    Business:
    The Reserve Bank's kept the OCR unchanged at 2.25 percent - and expects it'll stay there for most of this year 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Glen Powell and Joe Jonas faked an arrest to prank his sister Leslie 17:27

    Business:
    Disagreement within the Reserve Bank, on how soon to again raise the Official Cash Rate 16:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd