News | Law and Order
22 Feb 2026 15:13
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Law and Order

    How Reuters captured that photo of former Prince Andrew leaving custody

    The image, taken by Reuters photographer Phil Noble, went viral when it was published on Thursday. He says capturing the moment came down to a tip-off and more than a little luck.


    Slumped in the back seat of his Range Rover, a visibly shaken man once referred to as the "Playboy Prince" stares straight ahead as the car leaves Aylsham police station in Norfolk, England.

    The photo, taken by Reuters photographer Phil Noble, went viral when it was published late on Thursday. 

    It shows Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles, after he was released from police custody following a day of questioning over allegations he sent confidential government documents to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

    When news that Mr Mountbatten-Windsor had been arrested broke early on Thursday, Manchester-based Mr Noble began the six-hour drive south to Norfolk.

    Journalists knew the former prince had been arrested in Norfolk — the county that is home to the royal Sandringham estate where he resides. 

    Since officers from Thames Valley Police — covering south-east England — were questioning him, there were potentially 20 or more police stations where he could have been held.

    Following a tip, Mr Noble headed to the police station in the historic market town of Aylsham.

    Not much was going on, Mr Noble said. There were a couple of other members of the media there, including Reuters video journalist Marissa Davison.

    Six or seven hours went by. Darkness fell. Still nothing was happening.

    It seemed like this was the wrong station — after all, it was well over an hour's drive from Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's home.

    The team of two Reuters journalists decided to book rooms at a hotel. Mr Noble packed up and started heading down the road towards it.

    Minutes later, he got a call from Ms Davison. Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's cars had arrived.

    Mr Noble raced back, just in time to see the two vehicles leaving at high speed. The front car contained two police officers, so Mr Noble aimed his camera and flash at the car behind.

    He took six frames in all — two showed police, two were blank, one was out of focus. But one captured the unprecedented nature of the moment: for the first time in modern history, a senior royal was being treated as a common criminal.

    The image was used extensively by media worldwide.

    "You can plan and use your experience and know roughly what you need to do, but still everything needs to align," Mr Noble said. 

    "When you're doing car shots, it's more luck than judgement."

    He hadn't looked closely at the former prince's expression, the photographer added. He was just relieved it was him.

    "It was a proper old-school news day … a guy being arrested … who can we call? … tracking him down," he said.

    Mr Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and has previously said he regrets their friendship. 

    The current police investigation, which is not related to any allegation of sexual impropriety, involves the suspicion of committing misconduct in public office, according to a statement released on Thursday by Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright.

    The former prince's office did not respond to a request for comment on Thursday. 

    He has not spoken publicly since the release of millions of pages of documents by the US government relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.

    Reuters


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Law and Order News
     22 Feb: Christchurch City Council says no previous complaints had been made about two dogs involved in an attack yesterday, that left three people injured
     22 Feb: A person's suffered moderate hand injuries, after a dog attack in Timaru's Andrew Street
     21 Feb: A warning to Southland residents after a number of rural burglaries
     21 Feb: Four teenagers have been charged by New South Wales Police over the drive-by shooting of former NRL player Matt Utai in Sydney
     21 Feb: Auckland Council says current dog control laws are reactive - not preventative
     21 Feb: Armed Police were called to a street in Te Puke overnight, after a person was injured in an assault
     21 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's future uncertain under monarch willing to let 'the law take its course'
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year 14:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two people have died and another three are in a critical condition, after a two-vehicle crash on State Highway 1 in Marlborough 14:47

    Entertainment:
    The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues 14:47

    General:
    Alisa Camplin-Warner calls for more funding after historic 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics 14:17

    Entertainment:
    Romeo Beckham has added fuel to his brother Brooklyn's family feud, by "liking" an Instagram video claiming Nicola Peltz is "the problem" 14:17

    Soccer:
    Wellington Phoenix football coach Giancarlo Italiano is stepping down with his head held high 14:07

    Entertainment:
    Brandi Glanville has finally discovered the cause of the facial disfiguration which aged her "20 years overnight" 13:47

    Cricket:
    The Black Caps are trying not to be upset at their T20 World Cup match against Pakistan being abandoned due to rain in Colombo 13:37

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch City Council says no previous complaints had been made about two dogs involved in an attack yesterday, that left three people injured 13:27

    Law and Order:
    A person's suffered moderate hand injuries, after a dog attack in Timaru's Andrew Street 13:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd