News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 16:02
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    BAFTA has announced a new talent initiative to showcase the next generation of creative talent in film, games and television

    Previously known as Breakthrough Brits, the initiative has been running in the UK since 2013 but has now been rebranded BAFTA Breakthrough as it goes global for the first time


    Previous recipients include Abubakar Salim, who received a mentoring session with Paul Rudd, Letita Wright, Florence Pugh and Jessie Buckley.

    Jessie said: "BAFTA Breakthrough is a family that I will be forever grateful for. It offers a really unique chance to be part of a conversation with a group of the most inspiring creatives, all of whom are at a similar point in their careers and are curious about what might be possible. It makes you feel not only supported, excited and emboldened by each other but also by the people who you look up to and are inspired by within the industry. It a gorgeous thing and I have made lifelong friends."

    Amanda Berry OBE, Chief ex ecutive of BAFTA, said: "We are incredibly proud to be launching BAFTA Breakthrough globally, the only initiative of its kind that works across film, games and television. I’m excited to see who will join the global breakthrough family this year, at a time when our international community is more important than ever. We're also delighted to be working alongside Netflix for the second year to continue to grow a truly international network for emerging talent, filled with diverse voices and stories."

    Matthew Wiseman, Chief ex ecutive Officer of BAFTA Los Angeles added: "Continuing BAFTAs integral work to support emerging talents and encourage cross-cultural collaboration is now as crucial as ever. It's exciting to be bringing Breakthrough to new global communities, and create ways for people around the world to connect with one another in a meaningful way. We're delighted applications are now open in the USA and can't wait to see who will be discovered as the first Breakthrough USA participants."

    Netflix is the official supporting partner for BAFTA Breakthrough, in the UK, USA and India, providing integral support in the global expansion.

    The successful Breakthrough applicants will receive one-to-one mentoring and career guidance, access to BAFTA events and networking opportunities in the UK and internationally.

    Supporters of the initiative in recent years include actors Olivia Colman and Zawe Ashton, actor-producer Brad Pitt, directors Tom Harper, Barry Jenkins and Asif Kapadia, game designers Brenda Romero and Tim Schafer, actor-writers Sharon Horgan and Amy Schumer, and writer-director Amma Asante.

    Applications for BAFTA Breakthrough are now open and will close on July 22. To apply or find out more visit: http://bit.ly/Breakthrough-Brits.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime performance has been cleared of any broadcast violations following a review by the Federal Communications Commission
     18 Feb: Brooklyn Beckham has vowed to "forever protect" his wife Nicola Peltz-Beckham amid his feud with his parents
     18 Feb: Cynthia Erivo has addressed the "strange fascination" surrounding speculation that she and her Wicked co-star Ariana Grande are more than friends
     18 Feb: Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer
     18 Feb: Snoop Dogg had an unexpected moment in Livigno, Italy, this week after his payment failed at a local restaurant - and he later repaid the gesture with Olympic tickets
     18 Feb: Sir Ian McKellen admits he "accepted that I'm not immortal" since his 2024 fall
     18 Feb: Barack Obama has condemned a racist video circulated by President Donald Trump, calling the incident a disturbing reflection of today's political climate
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Don't expect an All Blacks coaching announcement imminently More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank's kept the Official Cash Rate unchanged at 2.25 percent More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime performance has been cleared of any broadcast violations following a review by the Federal Communications Commission 15:57

    Basketball:
    Bittersweet injury news for the Breakers ahead of their final regular season Australian basketball league game 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Brooklyn Beckham has vowed to "forever protect" his wife Nicola Peltz-Beckham amid his feud with his parents 15:27

    Business:
    The Reserve Bank's kept the Official Cash Rate unchanged at 2.25 percent 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Cynthia Erivo has addressed the "strange fascination" surrounding speculation that she and her Wicked co-star Ariana Grande are more than friends 14:57

    Rugby League:
    Briton Nikora is the latest Kiwis international to put his hand up for State of Origin duty 14:47

    Entertainment:
    Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer 14:27

    General:
    Australia's most successful Winter Olympics coach Peter McNiel and how his moguls team led the Milano Cortina gold rush 14:17

    National:
    ‘It could happen here’: Lord of the Flies took its lessons from Hitler’s Germany. They speak to now 14:07

    Entertainment:
    Snoop Dogg had an unexpected moment in Livigno, Italy, this week after his payment failed at a local restaurant - and he later repaid the gesture with Olympic tickets 13:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd