News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 16:12
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Idris Elba feels like he "dodged a bullet" after recovering from Covid-19

    Both the 47-year-old actor and his wife Sabrina Dhowre, 31, contracted the virus in April and Idris says they are thankful to be alive


    In an interview with BAFTA, he said: "I do feel like I dodged a bullet – I’m very thankful to be alive."

    Meanwhile, Idris previously admitted the "mental impact" of Covid-19 was "pretty traumatic" on him and Sabrina.

    He explained: "I was asymptomatic so I didn't get the major symptoms everyone else got. Mentally, it hit me very bad, because a lot was unknown about it.

    "I felt very compelled to speak about it, just because it was such an unknown. So the mental impact of that on both myself and my wife was pretty traumatic."

    The former star of 'The Wire' added that he was grateful for lockdown because it gave him the time to recover from the virus.

    He admitted: "I needed the lockdown to try to get over it. And it turns out the world actually probably needed the lockdown, too."

    Idris has said it felt the right thing to do to share his diagnosis as it "opened up a lot of conversation around it".

    He said: "My wife and I felt like it was the right thing to do, to share it with you guys. Right now though, I am feeling okay. Woke up this morning, didn't have any symptoms. My voice is a little tired ... checking my fever twice a day. Feel good, feel okay. Been doing a lot of reading about it. You know, asymptomatic is what comes up."

    Several celebrities were struck down with Covid-19, including Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson, pop star Pink and Britain's Prince Charles.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: Jessie Buckley was "scared of love" for most of her life before settling down with husband Freddie Sorensen
     20 Feb: David Archuleta didn't think he "deserved" fame and success because of his struggles with his sexuality
     20 Feb: Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy
     20 Feb: Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend
     20 Feb: Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has denied she was expelled from school for being a bully
     20 Feb: Meaghan Oppenheimer has revealed Tell Me Lies is ending at the "perfect" time
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery More...



     Today's News

    National:
    Is AI really ‘intelligent’? This philosopher says yes 16:07

    International:
    Timeline of key moments leading to former prince Andrew's arrest 16:07

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 15:47

    Entertainment:
    Jessie Buckley was "scared of love" for most of her life before settling down with husband Freddie Sorensen 15:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been charged with murder after a second man was discovered dead in Tauranga's Wharepai Domain last Saturday 15:27

    Business:
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery 15:17

    Entertainment:
    David Archuleta didn't think he "deserved" fame and success because of his struggles with his sexuality 15:17

    International:
    Donald Trump hosts first 'Board of Peace' meeting with new pledges for Gaza 15:07

    Motoring:
    Supercars driver Ryan Wood is aware of the risks that accompany being a tough competitor ahead of the season-opener in Sydney today 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy 14:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd