News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 0:17
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has again asked for a lawsuit brought against her by her half-sister be dismissed

    The 40-year-old royal is being sued for defamation by 57-year-old Samantha Markle, who has claimed the former 'Suits' actress made "false and malicious statements" about her in her bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, and she has branded the lawsuit "meritless"


    Meghan - who has children Archie, three, and Lili, 12 months, with husband Prince Harry - originally filed to have the case dismissed on 17 June but the judge denied the duchess' request four days later because Samantha had filed an amended complaint.

    As a result, on Monday (27.06.22), the former 'Suits' actress filed a new motion for dismissal, arguing against the claims made in the author's "meritless defamation case" and insisting Samantha had deleted numerous specific factual allegations and exhibits from her original complaint," claiming that the facts would "completely undermine" her estranged half-sibling's case.

    Documents obtained by Us Weekly magazine added: "Most obviously, her original complaint attached a 2018 email from Meghan to the then-Communications Secretary of Kensington Palace, Jason Knauf, that Plaintiff alleged was the basis for the allegedly defamatory statements in 'Finding Freedom'.

    "However, the email on its face disproved Plaintiff's claim that Meghan was somehow responsible for the authors' allegedly defamatory statements in 'Finding Freedom'.

    "Indeed, in her desperation to save her case, Plaintiff quite literally fabricated one of the statements, as evidenced by the missing interview transcript."

    Samantha had previously claimed Meghan was not honest about her past relationships with her family when she told Oprah Winfrey she had never been close to her half-sister or half-brother Thomas Markle Jr. when she was growing up.

    The duchess said at the time: "I grew up as an only child, which everyone who grew up around me knows, and I wished I had siblings. I would have loved to have had siblings.

    "[She] changed her last name back to Markle in her early 50s ... only when I started dating Harry. So, I think that says enough."

    Samantha insisted Meghan had lied so she and her father, Thomas Markle "could not interfere with or contradict the false narrative and fairytale life story [she] concocted."

    But Meghan doesn't feel the nature of their familial relationships should form the basis of a lawsuit.

    Her documents stated: "We do not empanel juries to rule on whether two people are 'close,' or whether one genuinely feels that they 'grew up as an only child.

    "Courts are not equipped to adjudicate the legitimacy of a person's feelings about their childhood and relationships. Nor should they be. ... This dispute has no place in this Court or any other."

    Meghan also requested to be awarded her attorney's fees.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     16 Feb: Steven Spielberg has donated $25,000 to help James Van Der Beek's family
     16 Feb: Michelle Obama got 10 new ear piercings in one sitting
     16 Feb: Margot Robbie has credited Rachel McAdams with helping her land all her major roles
     16 Feb: Daisy Lowe is pregnant with her second child
     16 Feb: Ashley Roberts wrongly announced Dick Van Dyke had died instead of James Van Der Beek
     16 Feb: Jesy Nelson's petition with Parliament, to demand all newborn babies born in the UK are tested for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), will receive a response from the UK government after it was signed more than 66,000 times
     16 Feb: The FBI has revealed "new identifying details" about a suspect in Nancy Guthrie's disappearance
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Super Rugby referee clanger in round one More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Now's the time to buy for those looking to get on the property ladder More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Former FBI agents say looking closer at Nancy Guthrie's social circle may be key to finding her 23:07

    Entertainment:
    Steven Spielberg has donated $25,000 to help James Van Der Beek's family 21:57

    Business:
    Now's the time to buy for those looking to get on the property ladder 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Michelle Obama got 10 new ear piercings in one sitting 21:27

    Environment:
    Weather warnings are set to fade away tonight 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie has credited Rachel McAdams with helping her land all her major roles 20:57

    Entertainment:
    Daisy Lowe is pregnant with her second child 20:27

    General:
    How cheating allegations have rocked the curling teams at the Olympics 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Ashley Roberts wrongly announced Dick Van Dyke had died instead of James Van Der Beek 19:57

    Entertainment:
    Jesy Nelson's petition with Parliament, to demand all newborn babies born in the UK are tested for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), will receive a response from the UK government after it was signed more than 66,000 times 19:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd