News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 11:45
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Charles is "deeply saddened" by the impact of the coronavirus pandemic

    The 72-year-old royal reflected on how the "tragic situation" has seen so many families lose their loved ones, and acknowledged the recent death of his father Prince Philip - who passed away aged 99 last month - when he discussed how hard it is to have an "empty seat at [the] dinner table"


    In a video message to British Muslims to mark the end of Ramadan, he said: “The last year I know has been deeply challenging for us all, and I am only too aware of the impact of the pandemic on the Muslim community.

    “This year so many families, like my own, will have an empty seat at their dinner table and friends will no longer be able to share the celebratory hug after Eid prayers. I can only say how deeply saddened I am by this tragic situation and how my heart goes out to all those who have lost their loved ones.”

    Charles also told how he was left "utterly heartbroken" by the "tragic story" of 13-year-old Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, who died alone after contracting virus.

    He said in the message, which was broadcast as part of a virtual Iftar organised by The Mosaic Initiative - which is part of his own youth charity The Prince's Trust - and the Naz Legacy Foundation: “I was utterly heartbroken by the tragic story of Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, a previously healthy thirteen year old boy, who passed away without the comfort of having his family by his side.

    “Every bereavement, from whatever cause, is made even harder for families by the current restrictions on funerals. I can only too well understand how agonising this must be for those affected and I know their enormous sense of grief will be shared by countless others – including myself.

    “Under these appallingly challenging circumstances, my wife and I can only offer you all our kindest and most special wishes and stress just how greatly the contribution of Muslims to the life of the United Kingdom is appreciated and valued.”

    And the prince sent his "deepest possible sympathy" to those working on the frontline who have lost their loved ones.

    He continued: "Many British Muslims, of course, will spend this Ramadan on the frontline of the Covid crisis, working in our NHS or in other key roles.

    “Most tragically, I know that a number of highly experienced and invaluable doctors and nurses from the Muslim community have lost their lives to this pernicious virus.

    “To their families and colleagues, I can only convey my deepest possible sympathy; and to everyone on the front line, of whatever religion, I offer my profound admiration and heartfelt gratitude for everything they are doing – for all of us.”

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Hilary Duff helped two fans pull off the ultimate engagement moment during her Las Vegas show on Friday night (13.02.26)
     18 Feb: Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler
     18 Feb: Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left
     18 Feb: Authorities have warned it could take "years" to find Nancy Guthrie
     18 Feb: Lindsey Vonn is ready to return to the US following a fourth operation
     18 Feb: James Van Der Beek's friends helped him secure a down payment for his home before his death
     18 Feb: Prince William was left in "a state of disbelief" after Catherine, Princess of Wales was diagnosed with cancer
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    England coach Steve Borthwick's responded to their Six Nations rugby defeat to Scotland by making three changes to his run-on side for Sunday's match with Ireland at Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A sharp rise in food inflation could unfortunately be out of our control More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Hilary Duff helped two fans pull off the ultimate engagement moment during her Las Vegas show on Friday night (13.02.26) 11:27

    National:
    Make Japan strong again: Sanae Takaichi’s plan to transform her country’s military 11:17

    Hockey:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Jürgen Klopp makes Milano Cortina Games cameo, ice hockey fight ban labelled a 'joke' — quick hits from day 11 11:17

    Soccer:
    Second half drama in the Champions League football clash between Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon 11:07

    Entertainment:
    Apple Martin has admitted to having gotten lip filler 10:57

    Environment:
    Dozens of Canterbury kids spent a night hunkering down in Banks Peninsula - which was cut off by yesterday's torrential rain 10:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested - after allegedly attempting to break through the cordon at the Mount Maunganui landslide 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left 10:27

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 10:27

    Law and Order:
    Canterbury Police are investigating after a man reportedly exposed himself indecently in Rolleston - and may have done so more than once 10:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd