News | International
23 Feb 2026 9:44
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US Secret Service agents shoot and kill man trying to unlawfully enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago

    A man carrying a shotgun and a fuel can is shot and killed by United States Secret Service agents after he broke into the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago.


    A man carrying a shotgun and a fuel can has been shot and killed by United States Secret Service agents after he broke into the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago.

    About 1:30am local time in Florida, a male in his early 20s was shot by agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office (PBSO) following an unauthorised entry at the North Gate of the complex, a statement said.

    Palm Beach County Sheriff Rick Bradshaw, speaking at a brief press conference, said the man was confronted by two Secret Service agents and a sheriff's deputy.

    "He was ordered to drop those two pieces of equipment that he had with them. At which time he put down the gas can, raised the shotgun to a shooting position," Sheriff Bradshaw said.

    He added the two agents and the deputy then "fired their weapons to neutralise the threat”.

    No US Secret Service or PBSO personnel were injured, officials said.

    US President Donald Trump is in Washington, and there were "no Secret Service protectees present" at Mar-a-Lago at the time.

    The individual's identity has been withheld while officers contact his next of kin.

    The suspect was from North Carolina and was reported missing a few days ago by his family, Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

    Investigators believe he left North Carolina and headed south, picking up a shotgun along the way.

    The box for the gun was recovered in his vehicle.

    The man drove through the north gate of Mar-a-Lago as another vehicle was exiting and was confronted by Secret Service agents.

    An investigation is now underway to determine the man's "potential motive", and the FBI will investigate the use of force from the officers.

    The FBI asked residents near Mar-a-Lago to check any security cameras they have for footage that could help investigators.

    "The involved Secret Service agents will be placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation," the statement finished.

    Mr Trump has faced threats to his life before. He was wounded during an assassination attempt during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on July 13, 2024.

    Then on September 15, 2024, a man with a rifle was captured after waiting near Mr Trump's golf course in West Palm Beach while the president played a round.

    He was sentenced to life in prison earlier this month.

    ABC/Wires

    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     23 Feb: Energy watchdog to force retailers to offer struggling customers help in overhaul
     23 Feb: Indra Brown's phenomenal fifth in freeski halfpipe at 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics a sign of her rapid rise
     22 Feb: Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands?
     22 Feb: After a rare Supreme Court loss for Trump, here's his record with the bench
     22 Feb: Alisa Camplin-Warner calls for more funding after historic 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics
     22 Feb: Australian underdogs edged out of mixed aerials team medals at 2026 Milano Cortina Games
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was the Queen's rumoured favourite. Did she do too much to protect him?
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Business sales are skyrocketing across the South Island, but the outlook seems more bleak in the capital More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    New rules for early childhood education come into force today 9:27

    Business:
    Business sales are skyrocketing across the South Island, but the outlook seems more bleak in the capital 9:07

    Rugby:
    Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch 8:17

    Health & Safety:
    Concerns the window for accessing the shingles vaccine is too narrow 8:07

    Business:
    Energy watchdog to force retailers to offer struggling customers help in overhaul 7:57

    Golf:
    American golfer Austen Truslow has beaten 17-year-old Christchurch amateur Cooper Moore by three shots to claim the New Zealand PGA Championship at Paraparaumu 7:57

    Politics:
    The woman at the centre of the Jevon McSkimming scandal isn't confirming or denying whether she wrote a tranche of emails demanding money 7:47

    Cricket:
    Grim super eight results for hosts at cricket's T20 World Cup 7:37

    Law and Order:
    An Auckland couple continued buying stolen crayfish, despite knowing it was likely illegal 7:17

    General:
    Indra Brown's phenomenal fifth in freeski halfpipe at 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics a sign of her rapid rise 7:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd