News | Entertainment
29 Nov 2025 14:13
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Jay-Z has taken out a number of newspaper advertisements in honour of George Floyd

    The 50-year-old rapper and his company Roc Nation have had the full-page ads published in the likes of the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, The Denver Post, and the Philadelphia Enquirer, with more still to be printed over the coming days


    The black and white advertisement includes a passage from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1965 Selma address.

    It reads: "Only way we can really achieve freedom is to somehow hunker the fear of death. But if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

    "Deep down in our nonviolent creed is the conviction -- that there are some things so dear, so things so precious, so things so eternally true, that they are worth dying for.

    "A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true.

    "So we're going to stand up amid horses. We're going to stand up right here, amid the billy-clubs. We're going to stand up right here amid police dogs, if they have them. We're going to stand up amid tear gas!"

    The advert - which was shared on Roc Nation's social media channels with the caption "in dedication to George Floyd. #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd" - was signed by Jay, the parents of Botham Jean, DJ Henry and Antwon Rose II - three young black men all killed by police - as well as Van Jones, Charlamagne tha God, and organisations including The Innocence Project and Until Freedom.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Nov: A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged
     29 Nov: Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break
     29 Nov: Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing"
     29 Nov: Donald Glover has revealed he suffered a stroke last year
     29 Nov: Machine Gun Kelly made a shock confession about his sex life as he performed at the Las Vegas Grand Prix this week
     29 Nov: Sydney Sweeney says women, including herself, find it hard to ask for help as they don't want to be viewed as "weak"
     29 Nov: Charli xcx admits being a "pop star" is "fun" - but it's also "stupid" and "embarrassing" at times
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged 14:08

    Motorsports:
    Ryan Wood has qualified fastest for the top 10 shootout ahead of today's second race at the Supercars grand final in Adelaide 14:06

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Entertainment:
    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break 13:38

    Christchurch:
    A person's died, after being pulled unresponsive from the water in Canterbury's Glenbrook 13:26

    Entertainment:
    Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing" 13:08

    Business:
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own 13:07

    Living & Travel:
    Some Jetstar flights grounded due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 13:07

    Rugby:
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 13:07

    Basketball:
    A glass half full mindset for the Tall Blacks basketballers after letting a chance slip for a rare victory over their Australian counterparts 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd