News | Entertainment
1 Dec 2025 11:52
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    David Prowse’s private collection of ‘Star Wars’ memorabilia is set to be auctioned off to benefit Alzheimer’s Research UK

    The actor – who played the evil Darth Vader in the original trilogy of ‘Star Wars’ movies – passed away in November last year at the age of 85 after a battle with Alzheimer’s disease, and to honour his memory, the extensive collection of ‘Star Wars’ memorabilia he owned is going up for auction with a portion of the proceeds going to Alzheimer’s Research UK


    Around 600 lots have been catalogued for sale at the auction, which is being run by East Bristol Auctions, with items including one of David’s rehearsal scripts from the 1980 blockbuster ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ and a piece from the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, which featured in ‘A New Hope’.

    There will also be over 400 signed photographs going under the hammer, many of which have been dedicated to David.

    Among them are personal messages from his Star Wars co-stars Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia actress Carrie Fisher.

    For those who remember David as the face of road safety in Britain as the Green Cross Code Man, both his iconic green and white superhero suit and his robot sidekick Droid will also go to the highest bidder.

    His friend and assistant Julian Owen spent two months sorting and researching items at David’s London home with his family’s help, while his theatrical agent Thomas Bevington organised the auction.

    Julian said: “It’s been an honour to do this for the Prowse family. I worked with Dave for over 10 years and going through the collection has brought back a lot of great memories. We’re expecting a lot of interest from around the world.

    “It was so hard to see Dave’s decline with Alzheimer’s disease. We worked together most weekends and every time I saw him there would be a little less of him there.

    “Dave’s wife Norma said from the start that she wanted some of the money raised to go to Alzheimer’s Research UK. While nothing could be done for Dave, she knows just how important it is to support dementia research, to ensure future generations don’t have to go through the same heartbreak.

    “Dave would be delighted to know some of what’s raised is going to help others.”

    The auction opened online on Monday (19.04.21) and people have until May 4 – known around the world as Star Wars Day – to place their bids before it switches to a live auction format.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Nov: Millie Bobby Brown had to hide her "wedding hair" while shooting the final season of Stranger Things
     30 Nov: James Van Der Beek's wife says he's "bouncing back" during his cancer battle
     30 Nov: Will Young has credited his dogs with improving his mental health because they are "consistent companions and fiercely loyal"
     30 Nov: Robert Irwin admits dating is "so challenging to navigate" in the public eye
     30 Nov: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' rapper son King Combs believes the disgraced star could be released from prison in time for the holidays
     30 Nov: Macaulay Culkin has reminded fans that his middle name is also Macaulay Culkin
     30 Nov: Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Jimmy Barnes is heading back to New Zealand - to celebrate his landmark album, For the Working Class Man, turning 40 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    How visible displays of wealth make people support higher taxes – new study More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta's lamenting the often stop-start nature of their Premier League football clash away to Chelsea 11:37

    Motoring:
    F1 Qatar: McLaren pitstop blunder costs Oscar Piastri win, Max Verstappen closes in on Lando Norris 11:17

    National:
    ‘Make the platforms safer’: what young people really think about the social media ban 11:17

    Motorsports:
    McLaren team principal Andrea Stella admits a wrong tactical decision cost them success at Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 11:07

    Law and Order:
    Police have named a man killed in an altercation in New Plymouth last month - as 68-year-old Martin James Mooney 10:47

    International:
    Lebanese hopeful Pope Leo will bring peace as he visits the country 10:37

    Business:
    How visible displays of wealth make people support higher taxes – new study 10:37

    Politics:
    Powers to move homeless people on from city centres, could be confirmed by Christmas 10:27

    Auckland:
    NZ now has a narrow window to stop the Asian yellow-legged hornet – here’s how everyone can help 10:27

    National:
    Trump wants Australian data on migrant crime. This will only scapegoat vulnerable people 10:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd