News | Entertainment
4 Apr 2025 13:01
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sean Kingston and his mother have been found guilty of fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud

    The 'Beautiful Girls' hitmaker and 62-year-old Janice Turner had denied allegations of falsely claiming they had sent bank transfers for luxury items worth more than $1 million but on Friday (28.03.25) a jury in federal court in Florida opted to convict the pair on all five charges after just over three hours of deliberations


    Sean - whose real name is Kisean Anderson - and his mother will be sentenced in July but until then, the musician has been placed on home detention, though he has to meet bond requirements, including a $200,000 surety bond in cash, as well as putting up a relative's $500,000 house, Local 10 reports.

    However, Janice was reminded into federal custody and was taken away by US Marshals as her son cried.

    He told them: "Protect my mother."

    While Sean opted not to testify on his own behalf, his mother did, and the judge explained she was remanded as a flight risk in part due to her testimony.

    He said Janice - who has similar past convictions - had shown she was the "fixer, the nerve centre" and in control of the fraud scheme but her son's defence depicted him as "a child" with no knowledge of finances.

    Several alleged victims had claimed to have been swindled out of items including a bulletproof Cadillac, a huge TV and expensive watches, and all items had been seized in a raid on Sean's home.

    The United States Attorney's Office in the Southern District of Florida, previously explained the 35-year-old rapper and his mother's charges stem from their alleged involvement in "a scheme to defraud victim sellers of high-end specialty vehicles, jewellery, and other goods purchased by the defendants through the use of fraudulent documents."

    The office went on to state the pair "unjustly enriched themselves by falsely representing that they had ex ecuted bank wire or other monetary payment transfers as payment for vehicles, jewellery, and other goods purchased by the defendants, when in fact no such bank wire or other monetary payment transfers had been ex ecuted by the purported banks, and thereafter the defendants retained or attempted to retain the vehicles, jewellery and other goods despite non-payment. Through the ex ecution of this scheme, the defendants obtained in excess of $1 million in property."

    The pair are accused of having stolen almost $500,000 in jewellery, more than $200,000 from Bank of America, more than $100,000 from First Republic Bank, $160,000 from a Cadillac Escalade dealer and $86,000 from a maker of customised beds.

    In May last year, Sean was arrested at an army base in California - where he was performing - and extradited to Florida after his home in the state was raided, where his mother was also arrested.

    At the time of his arrest, the musician was serving two years probation for trafficking stolen property.

    His mother previously pleaded guilty to bank fraud for stealing $160,000 and served more than a year in prison.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     04 Apr: Jennifer Tilly has paid a glowing tribute to Val Kilmer
     04 Apr: Kevin Bacon has tried to shield his children from fame
     04 Apr: Dolly Parton will never "make fun of Jesus" in her music
     04 Apr: Queen Elizabeth's godson, Lord Charles O'Hagan, has died aged 79
     04 Apr: Teddy Swims no longer needs to "numb" himself with drugs and alcohol
     04 Apr: Drew Barrymore's ex-boyfriend tried to move his mother into their home "indefinitely"
     04 Apr: Taylor Swift once wrote a "big cheque" for a children's hospital "without blinking an eye"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have received a chilling hand from Hockey New Zealand as they look to overcome the heat and humidity of Suva More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Insurer IAG has apologised for mistakes in applying discounts More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Tilly has paid a glowing tribute to Val Kilmer 12:48

    Soccer:
    Tottenham football manager Ange Postecoglou's prickled after a 1-nil loss to Chelsea in their Premier League derby at Stamford Bridge 12:27

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Bacon has tried to shield his children from fame 12:18

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch police have executed several warrants today, in relation to the ongoing investigation into an alleged murder in Mairehau 12:07

    Business:
    Insurer IAG has apologised for mistakes in applying discounts 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Dolly Parton will never "make fun of Jesus" in her music 11:48

    Entertainment:
    Queen Elizabeth's godson, Lord Charles O'Hagan, has died aged 79 11:18

    National:
    Blue Origin’s all-female space flight urges women to shoot for the stars – but astronaut memoirs reveal the cost of being exceptional 11:17

    International:
    American arrested in India for visiting North Sentinel Island 11:17

    Law and Order:
    A Blenheim man has pleaded guilty to his mother's murder 11:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd