News | Entertainment
30 Nov 2025 19:21
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Leslie Jones has urged protestors in America not to cause destruction during protests

    The ‘Saturday Night Live’ alum previously carried a sledgehammer when she attended protests against racial injustice 30 years ago, and has said that whilst she felt like a “hero” at the time, she now regrets bringing the object with her, and would discourage other protestors from causing destruction


    Leslie spoke amid the current protests taking place across America following the death of George Floyd, who died when a police offer knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes during an arrest.

    When asked what advice she’d give her younger self during the protests, she said: "I would say, ‘Don't take that sledgehammer. Don't take that sledgehammer.' Because the sledgehammer literally made me a hero in so many places. I opened up so many doors with that sledgehammer. I remember I broke - and I have to tell you this - it was a supermarket and there was a chain fence and they couldn't get it open. So, I came with my sledgehammer and … it went open and everybody was like, ‘Yeah!’ ”

    The 52-year-old comedian and actress quickly realised the damage she’d helped cause the following day when she saw people “crying about their business being burnt down”, and vowed to never join riots during protesting again.

    She added: "I can laugh about it now, but imma tell you, I didn't laugh when I was riding through my city after that and seeing burnt down buildings and having nowhere to shop. And, you know, seeing black people crying about their business being burnt down. It wasn't funny then, you know?

    "So, I think I would say to my 22-year-old self, ‘What do you think you're gonna change by going out there with that?’"

    Now, Leslie is using her platform to speak out against injustice, and to urge her fans to vote in the upcoming US presidential election.

    Speaking during an appearance on ‘Late Night With Seth Meyers’, she said: "I'm gonna use my platform to make sure everybody understands the importance of voting. I think we all just need to realise that we're all human and living on the same Earth and need to start working together before we don't have nothing."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Nov: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' rapper son King Combs believes the disgraced star could be released from prison in time for the holidays
     30 Nov: Macaulay Culkin has reminded fans that his middle name is also Macaulay Culkin
     30 Nov: Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee
     30 Nov: Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer
     30 Nov: Lindsay Arnold is expecting her third child
     30 Nov: Tara Reid has claimed she was drugged at a bar before being rushed to hospital
     30 Nov: Kim Kardashian's legal drama All's Fair has been renewed for a second season
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after being red carded for eye gouging in the record 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Our sheep meat exports hit record value in October More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Sean 'Diddy' Combs' rapper son King Combs believes the disgraced star could be released from prison in time for the holidays 19:08

    Living & Travel:
    Biosecurity's escalating its effort to eradicate yellow-legged hornets, following continued detections on Auckland's North Shore 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Macaulay Culkin has reminded fans that his middle name is also Macaulay Culkin 18:38

    Environment:
    A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of Kaipara, Auckland City, Waikato, Waitakere, Franklin, Rodney and Albany areas 18:37

    Accident and Emergency:
    Police have identified the person associated with an unattended kayak found yesterday off the Kapiti Coast 18:17

    Entertainment:
    Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee 18:08

    Soccer:
    Auckland FC are refusing to pin the blame on the wet weather conditions during their 2-1 loss to the Newcastle Jets at Mt Smart 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer 17:38

    International:
    Em Rusciano on finding balance in life after her ADHD and autism diagnoses 17:37

    Politics:
    Strengthening community-led GP practices is at the centre of Labour's new low-interest loan policy 17:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd