News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 17:41
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: King Charles says the "law must take its course" following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest
     22 Feb: Margot Robbie was mistaken for a man when she was playing ice hockey and was "picked on" by the other players
     22 Feb: Jason Bateman came close to quitting Hollywood to fulfil his dream of opening a cafe in Europe
     22 Feb: Odessa A'zion has insisted the "last thing" she ever wants to do is "offend anybody"
     22 Feb: Jennifer Garner's children think she is "fully cringe"
     22 Feb: The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues
     22 Feb: Romeo Beckham has added fuel to his brother Brooklyn's family feud, by "liking" an Instagram video claiming Nicola Peltz is "the problem"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders are in strife in their Super Rugby round two match against the Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    The Crusaders are in strife in their Super Rugby round two match against the Brumbies in Christchurch 17:27

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two people died and another three are in a critical condition, after a two-vehicle crash on State Highway 1 in Marlborough 17:27

    Entertainment:
    King Charles says the "law must take its course" following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest 17:17

    Basketball:
    Parker Jackson-Cartwright and the entire New Zealand Breakers organisation want to put their name on the first ever Ignite Cup, but know the task ahead of them is a difficult one 16:57

    Golf:
    Jacob Bridgeman has come out firing on Moving Day at the PGA Tour's latest event in Riviera 16:47

    Cricket:
    The Black Caps are embracing the challenge of tackling Sri Lanka in their home conditions at the T20 World Cup 16:47

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie was mistaken for a man when she was playing ice hockey and was "picked on" by the other players 16:47

    Soccer:
    Former All Whites goalkeeper Jacob Spoonley hopes the Wellington Phoenix are supporting their glovesman Josh Oluwayemi  16:17

    Motorsports:
    Matt Payne has been unable to back up his provisional qualifying effort in the Top10 shootout for the final race of the Supercars weekend in Sydney 16:17

    Entertainment:
    Jason Bateman came close to quitting Hollywood to fulfil his dream of opening a cafe in Europe 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd