News | National
23 Feb 2026 12:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > National

    Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as the fallout from Supreme Court loss continues

    On Friday, Trump said ‘great certainty’ had been brought back to the United States and the world. In truth, the uncertainty is far from over.

    Felicity Deane, Professor of Trade Law and Taxation, Queensland University of Technology
    The Conversation


    US President Donald Trump has announced the United States will increase baseline tariffs on imports from all countries to 15%, as the fallout continues from a seismic Supreme Court ruling on Friday.

    Trump had imposed sweeping “reciprocal tariffs” last year under an emergency powers act, but the court ruled this law did not authorise him to do so.

    Speaking in the wake of the ruling on Friday, Trump admonished the justices of the Supreme Court. He called the Democratic justices who ruled against the tariffs a “disgrace to the nation”.

    He also said he felt “ashamed” of members of the court he considered conservative who had voted against his use of emergency powers.

    Trump’s statement was riddled with insults and inaccuracies. However, he admitted he had tried to “make things simple” by using the emergency powers act. He went on to say he does have other options, but those options would take more time. This was one part of his speech that was indeed accurate.

    With the clock already ticking on his landmark trade agenda, and the multi-billion dollar question of refunds looming, what might Trump do next? Here’s what could now be in store for both Australia and the world.


    Read more: Supreme Court rules against Trump’s emergency tariffs – but leaves key questions unanswered


    Scrambling for alternatives

    The new 15% rate is an increase on the 10% global baseline tariff enacted shortly after the ruling using a different law, and will hit some Australian exports.

    This part of the law has never been used. However, it appears to clearly allow the president to impose tariffs of up to 15%, and for a period of no more than 150 days.

    But Trump said during this five-month period, his administration would investigate the use of yet another law, section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.

    This section does allow the president to impose tariffs in response to foreign countries who violate US rights under international trade agreements, or that burden or restrict US commerce in “unjustifiable”, “unreasonable” or “discriminatory” ways. However, it requires some steps to be followed.

    The process for using this law is detailed and cannot be subverted. It would likely take either years or vast amounts of resources to introduce tariffs that were anywhere near the “Liberation Day” tariffs.

    If nothing else, it requires consultations with the countries upon whose goods those tariffs will be imposed.

    Section 301 has previously been used to impose tariffs on China, following an investigation by the United States Trade Representative in 2018.

    Another option

    Another avenue for the president to bypass Congress is a specific section of a different law, Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, that applies to a particular sector of the economy.

    This is the power used to impose tariffs on steel and aluminium in the first Trump administration in 2018.

    However, it can’t be used to recreate sweeping tariffs on all foreign imports. This provision is generally product-specific and requires an investigation into the national security threat.

    Its use to impose steel and aluminium tariffs has been challenged by multiple trading partners at the World Trade Organization. A panel of experts ruled the US had used a special national security exception erroneously.

    However, despite this violation, Trump has suggested that he isn’t bound by international law.

    The question of refunds

    The Supreme Court’s ruling on Friday means all tariffs introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) were unlawfully collected.

    If all collected duties are refunded, it’s estimated the total repayment could reach approximately US$175 billion (A$247 billion).

    Much to the president’s frustration, there was no clarity within the Supreme Court’s ruling on the process for refunds of illegally collected tariffs.

    That silence, which prompted Trump to refer to the decision as “terrible” and “defective”, was likely because this would be handled by other courts.

    Back in December, the US Court of International Trade stated it would have the authority to order reliquidation and refunds of the sweeping tariffs if the Supreme Court ultimately ruled them unlawful.

    Many large companies had already anticipated this ruling, and acted to get on the front foot. For example, in late November, large retailer Costco sued the Trump administration to secure a full refund of tariffs in the event the Supreme Court deemed them unlawful.

    In late December, faced with an avalanche of similar cases, the Court of International Trade temporarily halted all cases where companies were claiming relief from IEEPA tariffs ahead of the Supreme Court’s ruling.

    Refunds may not be straightforward

    Some importers have argued that because the tariff payments were itemised, receiving refunds should not be messy.

    But the process for refunds may not be as straightforward as it should be. Trump suggested they could be “in court for the next five years”.

    What does this all mean for Australia?

    Australia’s previous 10% rate was much lower than many other nations, but now at 15% the playing field has been levelled – at least for the next 150 days.

    Australian exporters don’t pay these tariffs directly themselves, but may be pressured to absorb some of the cost, and it makes their imports less competitive in the US market.

    However, not all Australian exporters are in the same position. The proclamation issued by the White House listed some exceptions, including beef, critical minerals, energy products and pharmaceuticals.

    At Friday’s press conference, Trump said “great certainty” had been brought back to the United States and the world. In truth, the uncertainty is far from over.

    The Conversation

    Felicity Deane does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.

    This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license.
    © 2026 TheConversation, NZCity

     Other National News
     23 Feb: A person whose car flipped after hitting a tree in South Auckland last Tuesday - died on Thursday
     23 Feb: How could Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor be removed from the line of succession to the throne?
     23 Feb: Gaza’s cultural sites have been decimated. UNESCO’s muted response sets a dangerous precedent
     23 Feb: As war in Ukraine enters a 5th year, will the ‘Putin consensus’ among Russians hold?
     23 Feb: Long-standing safety concerns at a busy south-west Christchurch intersection, are set to be addressed
     23 Feb: Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch
     23 Feb: American golfer Austen Truslow has beaten 17-year-old Christchurch amateur Cooper Moore by three shots to claim the New Zealand PGA Championship at Paraparaumu
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A boost for the retail sector, as sales increase across the country More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    A boost for the retail sector, as sales increase across the country 11:57

    Auckland:
    A person whose car flipped after hitting a tree in South Auckland last Tuesday - died on Thursday 11:17

    Business:
    Satellite imaging is now vital for disaster management. But there are dangerous gaps in our systems 11:17

    International:
    Micro-interventions to reduce stress in your day 11:17

    Athletics:
    A tricky decision looms for Athletics New Zealand as to which female pole vaulters they select for the world indoor championships in Poland from March 20 to 22 11:07

    Motoring:
    Nascar driver Shane van Gisbergen has advanced up the field at the latest race in Georgia 11:07

    National:
    How could Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor be removed from the line of succession to the throne? 10:37

    Law and Order:
    US Secret Service agents shoot and kill man trying to break into Trump's Mar-a-Lago 10:27

    National:
    Gaza’s cultural sites have been decimated. UNESCO’s muted response sets a dangerous precedent 10:17

    National:
    As war in Ukraine enters a 5th year, will the ‘Putin consensus’ among Russians hold? 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd