News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 6:30
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Alfonso Ribeiro is "crazy supportive" of the 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' reboot

    The 50-year-old actor - who starred in the 90s sitcom as Will Smith's on-screen cousin Carlton Banks - will be tuning into 'Bel-Air', the dramatic prequel but hope people won't be comparing the two programmes.


    Alfonso told 'Extra': "Of course I will watch... I'm crazy supportive of Will and everything that he's doing... I feel like it should be looked at as a completely new show."

    The 'America's Funniest Home Videos' presenter ruled out for now returning to the revamped series as he is "loving" being a television host.

    Asked about making a cameo on the show, he explained: "Right now I am not acting, I'm hosting. I'm loving my hosting jobs. There's never an end... This is just me not having a desire to do it now."

    The show - which will drop on NBC's streaming service on 13 February - stars newcomer Jabari Banks, Adrian Holmes, Cassandra Freeman, Olly Sholotan and Coco Jones, and Will will serve as producer.

    While Alfonso is supportive of his old friend, he isn't planning to read the 'Men In Black' star's memoir 'Will'

    He previously said: "I don't know if I'll read the book because I know the people."

    But the actor praised Will for being candid about his and wife Jada Pinkett Smither's marriage.

    He said: "They are laying it out there in a way that is their truth.

    "For many, many years, people speculated about them as a family."

    If he doesn't read the book, Alfonso will miss out on Will's praise that he gave him "the best advice ever" when it came to the comedy series.

    He recounted how his pal told him: "Hey, man, I hear the producers discussing names for your character. Take it from me: Give your character your name, Will Smith. Because people are going to call you that for the rest of your life."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Confidence green pastures lie ahead for Fonterra, as the sale of brands like Anchor and Mainland nears completion More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch residents can expect an increased Police presence in Northcote, after a gang-related firearm incident on Hoani Street 5:37

    International:
    Tracking the US military build-up ahead of possible Iran attack 4:36

    Soccer:
    Auckland FC gaffer Steve Corica is pivoting to a game plan without Sam Cosgrove for Saturday's derby against the Phoenix in Wellington 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    St John is assessing 19 patients after a chemical incident in Horowhenua's Levin this evening 21:17

    Law and Order:
    South Korea's ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life in prison over insurrection 21:07

    Law and Order:
    In her memoir, Gisèle Pelicot reveals the secret love behind France's most infamous rape trial 20:37

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026 quick guide: What to watch on Day 13 20:07

    General:
    What is Skimo? The sport preparing to steal the show at the 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 19:17

    Cricket:
    New Zealand cricket captain Mitch Santner has no qualms about changing countries for the next stage of the T20 World Cup 18:57

    Politics:
    The Government's pushing ahead with plans for a mega-ministry 18:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd