News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 18:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Queen Elizabeth spent the night in hospital after cancelling her visit to Northern Ireland on her doctors’ orders

    The 95-year-old monarch was forced to cancel her plans to visit Northern Ireland for a busy two days of public engagements earlier this week after doctors told her to rest


    And on Thursday (21.10.21), Buckingham Palace confirmed the Queen went to hospital for "preliminary investigations" on Wednesday (20.10.21), where she stayed overnight before being sent back home to Windsor on Thursday.

    The Palace spokesperson said: "Following medical advice to rest for a few days, The Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits."

    It is believed the overnight stay was for practical reasons, and the monarch was back at her desk on Thursday afternoon and was undertaking light duties.

    The news comes after the Queen expressed her “disappointment” at being unable to visit Northern Ireland.

    In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "The Queen has reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days.

    "Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow.

    "The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future.”

    She was due to arrive in Hillsborough in County Down, Northern Ireland, on Wednesday afternoon, where she was going to attend a church service to commemorate the centenary of the foundation of Northern Ireland.

    Elizabeth has hosted a number of events in the last few days, such as a global investment summit at Windsor Castle on Tuesday evening (19.10.21), and last week, she appeared at the Senedd, the Welsh Assembly.

    She was also at Westminster Abbey last Tuesday, where she used a walking stick in public for the first time.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Katie Price has suggested she is expecting a child with her new husband Lee Andrews
     21 Feb: Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human
     21 Feb: Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction
     21 Feb: David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame
     21 Feb: Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday
     21 Feb: Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels
     21 Feb: Emma Heming Willis says caring for her husband Bruce Willis has made her realise how "vital" it is to concentrate on her own health
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Two dogs have been impounded by Christchurch Council Animal Management officers and three people are in hospital after an attack in the North West More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    One of the best players in the game is likely to miss the start of the NRL season 18:27

    Entertainment:
    Katie Price has suggested she is expecting a child with her new husband Lee Andrews 18:17

    Politics:
    How a window opened for IS-linked Australians to leave Syria 18:17

    Business:
    Two dogs have been impounded by Christchurch Council Animal Management officers and three people are in hospital after an attack in the North West 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human 17:47

    Cricket:
    To the women's one day cricket final at the Basin Reserve 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction 17:17

    Education:
    Students in Auckland's Northcote College will be learning remotely next week, due to a fire-damaged building needing to be cleared 16:57

    Entertainment:
    David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame 16:47

    Entertainment:
    Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd