News | Entertainment
23 Feb 2026 11:32
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Bob Mackie has blasted Kim Kardashian for wearing Marilyn Monroe's iconic dress to the Met Gala

    The 82-year-old designer created the iconic dress - which was worn by the Hollywood legend in 1962 when she sang 'Happy Birthday' to President John F. Kennedy - alongside Jean Louis, and he has described the decision to loan it to the 41-year-old reality star as a "big mistake"


    He told 'Entertainment Tonight': "I thought it was a big mistake.

    [Marilyn] was a goddess. A crazy goddess, but a goddess. She was just fabulous.

    "Nobody photographs like that. And it was done for her. It was designed for her. Nobody else should be seen in that dress."

    'Ripley's Believe It or Not!' loaned Kim the gown - which Bob did the original sketches for - for the Met Gala, but she only wore it for a few minutes on the red carpet before changing into a replica.

    Meanwhile, the star has also been criticised after losing 16lbs in less than a month to fit into the dress, having admitted she gave up sugar and carbs for three weeks beforehand.

    She said at the time: "Well this is Marilyn Monroe's dress and it is 60 years old and she wore this when she sang 'Happy Birthday' to President John F. Kennedy in 1962.

    "I had this idea to try it on and then they came with armed guards and gloves.

    "I tried it on and it didn't fit me. I said, 'Give me three weeks.' I had to lose 16 pounds down today.

    "It was such a challenge. It was like a [movie] role. I was determined to fit [into] it. I haven't had carbs or sugar in about three weeks.

    We're having pizza and donut party back at the hotel [after the Met Gala]."

    She was criticised by a number of people including 'Riverdale' star Lil Reinhart, who called out the influential SKIMS founder for sending the wrong message to the young people who look up to her.

    Taking to her Instagram Story, she fumed: "To walk on a red carpet and do an interview where you say how starving you are ... because you haven't eaten carbs in the last month... all to fit in a f****** dress?

    "So wrong. So f***** on 100s of levels."

    She went on: "To openly admit to starving yourself for the sake of the Met Gala. When you know very well that millions of young men and women are looking up to you and listening to your every word. The ignorance is other-worldly disgusting."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     23 Feb: Kansas City Chiefs star Chris Jones has launched an impassioned defence of Travis Kelce
     22 Feb: James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation"
     22 Feb: Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids
     22 Feb: Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business
     22 Feb: Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting"
     22 Feb: Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Scrutiny in the Crusaders after their 50-24 Super Rugby loss to the Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Satellite imaging is now vital for disaster management. But there are dangerous gaps in our systems More...



     Today's News

    Auckland:
    A person whose car flipped after hitting a tree in South Auckland last Tuesday - died on Thursday 11:17

    Business:
    Satellite imaging is now vital for disaster management. But there are dangerous gaps in our systems 11:17

    International:
    Micro-interventions to reduce stress in your day 11:17

    Athletics:
    A tricky decision looms for Athletics New Zealand as to which female pole vaulters they select for the world indoor championships in Poland from March 20 to 22 11:07

    Motoring:
    Nascar driver Shane van Gisbergen has advanced up the field at the latest race in Georgia 11:07

    National:
    How could Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor be removed from the line of succession to the throne? 10:37

    Law and Order:
    US Secret Service agents shoot and kill man trying to break into Trump's Mar-a-Lago 10:27

    National:
    Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as the fallout from Supreme Court loss continues 10:27

    National:
    Gaza’s cultural sites have been decimated. UNESCO’s muted response sets a dangerous precedent 10:17

    National:
    As war in Ukraine enters a 5th year, will the ‘Putin consensus’ among Russians hold? 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd