News | Entertainment
29 Nov 2025 14:13
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Emilia Clarke has sent her thanks to the NHS workers who “saved [her] life” after she suffered a brain haemorrhage

    The ‘Game of Thrones’ star has endured two health scares in 2011 and 2013, and in an open letter to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) to mark the institution’s 72nd anniversary, Emilia thanked the team of staff who made sure she was never “truly alone” during her ordeals


    In the lengthy message, which was shared by The Sunday Times magazine, she wrote: “The memories I will hold dearest, though, are ones that fill me with awe: of the nurses and doctors I knew by name when, in the weeks after my first brain haemorrhage, we watched the passing of time and the passing of patients in the Victor Horsley Ward at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London. The nurse who suggested - after everyone else in A&E struggled to find an answer when I was first admitted - that maybe, just maybe I should have a brain scan. She saved my life.”

    Emilia went on to thank her anaesthetist who “kept [her] giggling” before her surgery, the phlebotomist who took her blood for testing, and the doctors who treated her, as well as nurses and cleaners who helped her when she was at her worst.

    She added: “The countless unthanked nurses who changed my catheter and cleaned up my vomit on the days when I couldn’t even manage water. The nurses who washed my body with care and love when I couldn’t walk or sit, who put me in pyjamas I recognised as my own when my morale dipped below the surface, with as much kindness as if I had been their own daughter.

    “The cleaners who mopped the floor when my bedpan fell to the ground, shame and embarrassment filling the room along with disinfectant, and then a reassuring smile and a knowledge that they’d seen worse.”

    And the 33-year-old actress also recalled a moment in which she was rushed to the ICU after a bout of “dehydration-led aphasia”, when a nurse allowed her mother to stay with her against the usual guidelines, because Emilia was scared she would die.

    She concluded her message: “When I was in ICU following a severe bout of dehydration-led aphasia, during which I lost my ability to speak coherently, I heard the patient in the bed next to me in the final moments of his life. One of the nurses on duty allowed my mum to stay next to me and hold my hand instead of leaving, as every other patient’s loved ones were asked to do. She saw that, in this moment, she held my fragile mind, and its capacity to pray that I wouldn’t be next, in her hands.

    “In all those moments, over those three weeks, I was not, not ever, truly alone.”

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Nov: A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged
     29 Nov: Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break
     29 Nov: Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing"
     29 Nov: Donald Glover has revealed he suffered a stroke last year
     29 Nov: Machine Gun Kelly made a shock confession about his sex life as he performed at the Las Vegas Grand Prix this week
     29 Nov: Sydney Sweeney says women, including herself, find it hard to ask for help as they don't want to be viewed as "weak"
     29 Nov: Charli xcx admits being a "pop star" is "fun" - but it's also "stupid" and "embarrassing" at times
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged 14:08

    Motorsports:
    Ryan Wood has qualified fastest for the top 10 shootout ahead of today's second race at the Supercars grand final in Adelaide 14:06

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Entertainment:
    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break 13:38

    Christchurch:
    A person's died, after being pulled unresponsive from the water in Canterbury's Glenbrook 13:26

    Entertainment:
    Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing" 13:08

    Business:
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own 13:07

    Living & Travel:
    Some Jetstar flights grounded due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 13:07

    Rugby:
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 13:07

    Basketball:
    A glass half full mindset for the Tall Blacks basketballers after letting a chance slip for a rare victory over their Australian counterparts 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd