News | Entertainment
16 Feb 2026 13:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Queen Elizabeth spent the night in hospital after cancelling her visit to Northern Ireland on her doctors’ orders

    The 95-year-old monarch was forced to cancel her plans to visit Northern Ireland for a busy two days of public engagements earlier this week after doctors told her to rest


    And on Thursday (21.10.21), Buckingham Palace confirmed the Queen went to hospital for "preliminary investigations" on Wednesday (20.10.21), where she stayed overnight before being sent back home to Windsor on Thursday.

    The Palace spokesperson said: "Following medical advice to rest for a few days, The Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits."

    It is believed the overnight stay was for practical reasons, and the monarch was back at her desk on Thursday afternoon and was undertaking light duties.

    The news comes after the Queen expressed her “disappointment” at being unable to visit Northern Ireland.

    In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "The Queen has reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days.

    "Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow.

    "The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future.”

    She was due to arrive in Hillsborough in County Down, Northern Ireland, on Wednesday afternoon, where she was going to attend a church service to commemorate the centenary of the foundation of Northern Ireland.

    Elizabeth has hosted a number of events in the last few days, such as a global investment summit at Windsor Castle on Tuesday evening (19.10.21), and last week, she appeared at the Senedd, the Welsh Assembly.

    She was also at Westminster Abbey last Tuesday, where she used a walking stick in public for the first time.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     16 Feb: DNA recovered from glove found near Guthrie home that appears to match suspect's glove, FBI says
     15 Feb: Heather McComb will remember James Van Der Beek as being "innocent, kind and pure of heart"
     15 Feb: Margaret Qualley felt "overwhelmed" when she began her acting career
     15 Feb: Bunnie Xo has been wowed by Jelly Roll's 300-lb. weight loss
     15 Feb: Jesy Nelson no longer has "time" to make music
     15 Feb: Lena Dunham replaced her friends with a "posse" of cats after moving to London
     15 Feb: Camila Cabello has revealed "it's taken a year" for her hair to recover after she dyed it blonde
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Let's go to Livigno... and qualifying for the freeski big air More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Retailers remain cautious despite a bump in card spending over the New Year period More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Retailers remain cautious despite a bump in card spending over the New Year period 12:47

    Law and Order:
    DNA recovered from glove found near Guthrie home that appears to match suspect's glove, FBI says 12:47

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Matt Graham on dual moguls 'dad podium' as weather forces reschedule — quick hits from day nine 12:07

    Rugby League:
    Former New South Wales second rower Ryan Hoffman's welcoming a change to rugby league's representative selection criteria 11:57

    Environment:
    Firefighters have responded to more than 850 calls overnight - with severe gusts and intense downpours in the centre of the country 11:57

    Law and Order:
    A 43-year-old man has appeared in court charged with firearms offences - as a Police hunt continues for those responsible for a shooting in Onehunga a month ago 11:07

    Environment:
    Blustery winds and heavy rain are continuing to impact parts of the country - particularly the lower North Island 10:47

    Maori:
    How Indigenous ideas about non-linear time can help us navigate ecological crises 10:27

    Motoring:
    An action-packed first 250 miles at the annual running of Nascar's Daytona 500 10:27

    National:
    Trump has scrapped the long-standing legal basis for tackling climate emissions 10:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd