News | Entertainment
7 Apr 2020 3:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sir Elton John will continue his tour - despite having walking pneumonia

    The 'I'm Still Standing' hitmaker was forced to halt his gig in Auckland, New Zealand, over the weekend after he lost his voice mid-way through his performance but, despite his on-going health battle, he has no plans to cancel the remaining dates of his 'Farewell' tour in Australia and New Zealand


    A statement from promoters Chugg Entertainment was released on Monday (17.02.20) and said: "At this stage, all remaining shows will go ahead as planned.

    "Elton John was disappointed and deeply upset at having to end his Auckland concert early last night."

    The 72-year-old singer disappointed the audience at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday night (16.02.20) when he told fans he had to leave the stage.

    He said: "I've just completely lost my voice. I can't sing. I've got to go. I'm sorry."

    He later took to Instagram to post an emotional statement, revealing he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia - an informal term for pneumonia that isn't severe enough to require bed rest or hospitalisation - earlier in the day but had been "determined" to get on stage and sing for his fans.

    He wrote on Instagram: "I want to thank everyone who attended tonight's gig in Auckland. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia earlier today, but I was determined to give you the best show humanly possible. I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I'm disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank-you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight's performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx (sic)"

    Elton has had a number of health scares over the years and had previously revealed he was "24 hours from death" when he contracted an infection after surgery for prostate cancer back in 2017, where fluid was leaking from his lymph nodes.

    He said: "I was incredibly lucky - although, I have to say, I didn't feel terribly lucky at the time. I lay awake all night, wondering if I was going to die. In the hospital, alone at the dead of night, I'd prayed: Please don't let me die, please let me see my kids again, please give me a little longer ... They took a sample of the infection ... it was much more serious than they'd first realised. There were MRI scans and God knows how many other procedures. The doctors told David I was 24 hours away from death. If the South American tour had gone on for another day that would have been it: brown bread.'"

    Elton is due to play two more shows in Auckland this week, before he will return to Australia to kickstart another round of gigs from February 22.

    © 2020 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     06 Apr: Nikki Bella isn’t sure if she’ll take Artem Chigvintsev’s surname when they marry
     06 Apr: Sarah Hyland discussed marriage with Wells Adams “four days after” they started dating
     05 Apr: Heidi Klum’s daughter wants to follow in her footsteps
     05 Apr: Kendall Jenner doesn’t think Kourtney Kardashian has “dealt with” her split from Scott Disick
     05 Apr: Brie Bella felt “pressured” into having a second child
     05 Apr: Diplo finds Charli XCX “so exciting”
     05 Apr: Val Kilmer says his split from Daryl Hannah was the “most painful” breakup he’s ever endured
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been forced to apologise after several members of their squad were spied flouting lockdownrules More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    TradeMe is introducing new measures to continue business during Lockdown More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    The Crusaders have been forced to apologise after several members of their squad were spied flouting lockdownrules 22:27

    Business:
    TradeMe is introducing new measures to continue business during Lockdown 22:27

    Business:
    The Government says Technological capability is the key to contact tracing for Covid-19 21:57

    Business:
    The infrastructure minister may ban log exports so the wood can be used as a priority in New Zealand 18:57

    Cricket:
    One of New Zealand cricket's first big-hitting batsmen has died 18:37

    Business:
    Coronavirus distancing measures lifted as Cyclone Harold lashes Vanuatu 18:27

    International:
    Scientists translate coronavirus spike protein into music, revealing more about its structure 18:07

    Law and Order:
    A man and a woman have appeared in court charged with breaching the lockdown rules in Wellington - in apparently unconnected cases 18:07

    Rugby League:
    The Warriors want to hear more from the NRL before reacting to Todd Greenberg's first concession that the competition could proceed without them 17:57

    Business:
    Prices on items such as whiteware and webcams ... had a surge in prices in March 17:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd