News | Politics
11 Aug 2020 8:54
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Politics

    Travellers to be charged $3,000 for coronavirus quarantine in South Australian hotels

    International travellers returning home will soon be charged for hotel quarantine in SA, after the State Government deemed they had been given "plenty of time" to get back by now.


    International travellers returning home will soon be charged up to $3,000 each for hotel quarantine in South Australia, ending free supervised isolation for those coming into the state.

    SA Premier Steven Marshall today announced that individuals will have to pay for 14-day quarantine in Adelaide hotels, starting from Saturday later this week.

    An individual adult will be charged $3,000, with an extra $1,000 for another adult from the same family, plus $500 per child.

    "Up until this point, taxpayers have been footing the bill," Mr Marshall said.

    "The Prime Minister has said since March of this year — Australians overseas should get back.

    "He's given them plenty of time — there will now be a charge from Saturday onwards."

    Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged overseas Australians to return to the country on March 17, ahead of COVID-19 border closures.

    Mr Marshall stressed today that SA was "still keen to assist with the national repatriation program" and added that his government would consider "hardship and payment terms" for travellers who may struggle to meet the cost of hotel quarantine.

    Mr Marshall said the SA Government would not make any profit from the charges, but that they would recover costs.

    Hundreds of Australians arriving at Adelaide Airport from overseas have been taken into mandatory hotel quarantine since the introduction of travel restrictions aimed at preventing COVID-19 outbreaks in South Australia.

    Last week, Mr Marshall announced that all domestic travellers crossing into the state from Victoria would be "required" to take a COVID-19 test.

    Health Minister Stephen Wade later clarified that testing would not be "mandatory" for Victorians, but that they were expected to take the test, and could be subject to a legal order to do so if they refused.

    Policy in line with NSW model

    The new quarantine payment policy follows the lead of the New South Wales Government, which yesterday announced that it would be charging travellers returning to Sydney for hotel quarantine.

    Travellers to NSW will be charged using the same pricing model of $3,000 per individual, $1,000 per additional adult and $500 per child.

    But those arriving in Sydney will have an extra week's notice — until next Saturday — than those returning to SA before the scheme kicks in.

    By mid-last month, it had already cost the NSW Government $50 million to put more than 25,000 travellers through hotel quarantine, according to official figures obtained by ABC News at the time.

    NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said yesterday more than 35,000 returned travellers have now been put up in Sydney hotels.


    ABC




    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Politics News
     11 Aug: Don't wait for a trigger to seek financial advice
     11 Aug: It's being suggested people have no idea what the cannabis referendum is about
     11 Aug: The newly-minted Auckland Central candidate for the National Party says she'll be working hard to meet as many voters as possible
     11 Aug: There' are allegations a senior National Party figure attempted to derail one of the candidates for the Auckland Central seat with a late night talkback call
     10 Aug: Judith Collins believes the Northland seat is National's -- by a country mile
     10 Aug: It might not be all bad for the South - when the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter closes
     09 Aug: Federal Government open to more JobKeeper tweaks if economy deteriorates further amid coronavirus downturn
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Julian Savea's staying tight-lipped on which provincial team he plans to represent in this year's Mitre 10 Cup More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Don't wait for a trigger to seek financial advice More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Ceres is an ocean world with active geology, according to close-up data from NASA spacecraft Dawn 8:36

    Entertainment:
    Selena Gomez has joined the cast of Steve Martin and Martin Short's new Hulu comedy series 8:31

    Business:
    Don't wait for a trigger to seek financial advice 8:16

    Law and Order:
    Hospitality staff are nervous about walking home following a brawl on Wellington's Courtenay Place 8:16

    Soccer:
    The Wellington Phoenix will at least match their best A-League football table finish 8:06

    Entertainment:
    Storm Keating formed an "indescribable connection" with her children after breastfeeding them 8:01

    Politics:
    It's being suggested people have no idea what the cannabis referendum is about 7:46

    Rugby League:
    Ivan Cleary claims he had no intention of questioning the referees' integrity after having 20 thousand Australian dollars extracted from his wallet by the NRL 7:36

    Entertainment:
    The 'Friends' reunion will film in the next two weeks 7:31

    Health & Safety:
    A research team hopes Maori lives will be saved by new testing criteria for stomach cancer 7:26


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd