News | Living & Travel
12 Aug 2020 12:30
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Living & Travel

    Travellers to be charged $3,000 for coronavirus quarantine in South Australian hotels

    International travellers returning home will soon be charged for hotel quarantine in SA, after the State Government deemed they had been given "plenty of time" to get back by now.


    International travellers returning home will soon be charged up to $3,000 each for hotel quarantine in South Australia, ending free supervised isolation for those coming into the state.

    SA Premier Steven Marshall today announced that individuals will have to pay for 14-day quarantine in Adelaide hotels, starting from Saturday later this week.

    An individual adult will be charged $3,000, with an extra $1,000 for another adult from the same family, plus $500 per child.

    "Up until this point, taxpayers have been footing the bill," Mr Marshall said.

    "The Prime Minister has said since March of this year — Australians overseas should get back.

    "He's given them plenty of time — there will now be a charge from Saturday onwards."

    Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged overseas Australians to return to the country on March 17, ahead of COVID-19 border closures.

    Mr Marshall stressed today that SA was "still keen to assist with the national repatriation program" and added that his government would consider "hardship and payment terms" for travellers who may struggle to meet the cost of hotel quarantine.

    Mr Marshall said the SA Government would not make any profit from the charges, but that they would recover costs.

    Hundreds of Australians arriving at Adelaide Airport from overseas have been taken into mandatory hotel quarantine since the introduction of travel restrictions aimed at preventing COVID-19 outbreaks in South Australia.

    Last week, Mr Marshall announced that all domestic travellers crossing into the state from Victoria would be "required" to take a COVID-19 test.

    Health Minister Stephen Wade later clarified that testing would not be "mandatory" for Victorians, but that they were expected to take the test, and could be subject to a legal order to do so if they refused.

    Policy in line with NSW model

    The new quarantine payment policy follows the lead of the New South Wales Government, which yesterday announced that it would be charging travellers returning to Sydney for hotel quarantine.

    Travellers to NSW will be charged using the same pricing model of $3,000 per individual, $1,000 per additional adult and $500 per child.

    But those arriving in Sydney will have an extra week's notice — until next Saturday — than those returning to SA before the scheme kicks in.

    By mid-last month, it had already cost the NSW Government $50 million to put more than 25,000 travellers through hotel quarantine, according to official figures obtained by ABC News at the time.

    NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said yesterday more than 35,000 returned travellers have now been put up in Sydney hotels.


    ABC




    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Living & Travel News
     12 Aug: Air New Zealand is working on introducing social distancing on its flights, to prevent community transmission of Covid 19
     12 Aug: Businesses want to hear the Government's plan for what will happen next
     12 Aug: Domestic flights, train services and bus services are likely to be affected by the new restrictions
     11 Aug: A late-night fire at St Paul's Cathedral in the heart of Dunedin was most likely accidental
     11 Aug: Jean Hurring nee Stewart, New Zealand's first Olympic swimming medallist, has died aged 89
     11 Aug: Don't wait for a trigger to seek financial advice
     11 Aug: Hospitality staff are nervous about walking home following a brawl on Wellington's Courtenay Place
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The return to covid-19 level 3 in Auckland spells sporting uncertainty again More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Auckland banks are set to close, under Alert Level Three restrictions More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Val Kilmer's daughter was terrified as he tried to cure his throat cancer without medical help 12:01

    International:
    Kamala Harris is Joe Biden's VP pick to take on Donald Trump. Here's what you need to know about her 11:57

    Motoring:
    Police are establishing checkpoints at the edges of Auckland under alert level three 11:57

    International:
    How will the Democratic and Republican conventions be held during the coronavirus pandemic? Here's what we know 11:37

    Entertainment:
    Amanda Kloots says picking up Nick Cordero's ashes was "beyond surreal and horrible" 11:31

    International:
    Five easy ways to lower your household carbon emissions 11:27

    Health & Safety:
    Canterbury's Medical Officer of Health is commending swift action by two Christchurch rest homes - when residents showed respiratory illness 11:07

    International:
    Finding Freedom book details what led to Harry and Meghan's split from royal family 11:07

    Entertainment:
    Simon Cowell is recovering from a six-hour surgery after breaking his back 11:01

    Rugby League:
    Prop Jack Hetherington will stay with the Warriors over the coming weeks, despite copping a four-week suspension 10:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd