News | International
8 Aug 2020 17:12
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Travellers to be charged $3,000 for coronavirus quarantine in South Australian hotels

    International travellers returning home will soon be charged for hotel quarantine in SA, after the State Government deemed they had been given "plenty of time" to get back by now.


    International travellers returning home will soon be charged up to $3,000 each for hotel quarantine in South Australia, ending free supervised isolation for those coming into the state.

    SA Premier Steven Marshall today announced that individuals will have to pay for 14-day quarantine in Adelaide hotels, starting from Saturday later this week.

    An individual adult will be charged $3,000, with an extra $1,000 for another adult from the same family, plus $500 per child.

    "Up until this point, taxpayers have been footing the bill," Mr Marshall said.

    "The Prime Minister has said since March of this year — Australians overseas should get back.

    "He's given them plenty of time — there will now be a charge from Saturday onwards."

    Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged overseas Australians to return to the country on March 17, ahead of COVID-19 border closures.

    Mr Marshall stressed today that SA was "still keen to assist with the national repatriation program" and added that his government would consider "hardship and payment terms" for travellers who may struggle to meet the cost of hotel quarantine.

    Mr Marshall said the SA Government would not make any profit from the charges, but that they would recover costs.

    Hundreds of Australians arriving at Adelaide Airport from overseas have been taken into mandatory hotel quarantine since the introduction of travel restrictions aimed at preventing COVID-19 outbreaks in South Australia.

    Last week, Mr Marshall announced that all domestic travellers crossing into the state from Victoria would be "required" to take a COVID-19 test.

    Health Minister Stephen Wade later clarified that testing would not be "mandatory" for Victorians, but that they were expected to take the test, and could be subject to a legal order to do so if they refused.

    Policy in line with NSW model

    The new quarantine payment policy follows the lead of the New South Wales Government, which yesterday announced that it would be charging travellers returning to Sydney for hotel quarantine.

    Travellers to NSW will be charged using the same pricing model of $3,000 per individual, $1,000 per additional adult and $500 per child.

    But those arriving in Sydney will have an extra week's notice — until next Saturday — than those returning to SA before the scheme kicks in.

    By mid-last month, it had already cost the NSW Government $50 million to put more than 25,000 travellers through hotel quarantine, according to official figures obtained by ABC News at the time.

    NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said yesterday more than 35,000 returned travellers have now been put up in Sydney hotels.


    ABC




    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other International News
     08 Aug: Phil Gould joining Warriors NRL team as 'consultant', Nathan Brown signed as head coach
     08 Aug: An astrophotographer's guide to the August night sky
     08 Aug: India's biggest slum has so far nailed coronavirus. Here's how they did it
     08 Aug: Bad weather is being blamed for a fatal plane crash in India, that's now claimed at least 20 lives
     07 Aug: Liberal MP Craig Kelly said Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews could be jailed for his stance on hydroxychloroquine. An expert says there's 'zero chance'
     07 Aug: Twitter will label state-affiliated media, as well as government accounts from China, US, France, Russia and UK
     07 Aug: Young Australians avoid COVID-19 news so traditional health messaging doesn't work
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    One last crack at their first win in Super Rugby Aotearoa for the Chiefs More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Government investment into kiwifruit industry is likely to extend into the summer season More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    One last crack at their first win in Super Rugby Aotearoa for the Chiefs 16:57

    Entertainment:
    Kourtney Kardashian’s son Reign has had his first ever haircut 16:44

    Business:
    Government investment into kiwifruit industry is likely to extend into the summer season 16:17

    Politics:
    The launch of the Labour Party election campaign is underway in Auckland 16:17

    Entertainment:
    Kelis is pregnant with her third child 16:14

    Entertainment:
    Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, “burst into tears” after hearing stories from families who have been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic 15:44

    Rugby League:
    Phil Gould joining Warriors NRL team as 'consultant', Nathan Brown signed as head coach 15:37

    Law and Order:
    Wellington Police are investigating after a booze-fuelled fight led to an apparent stabbing 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian is “doing what she feels is right for her daughter” by reuniting with her ex Tristan Thompson 15:14

    International:
    An astrophotographer's guide to the August night sky 14:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd