News | Politics
4 Aug 2020 17:13
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Politics

    Britain bans Huawei from its 5G network and will remove existing equipment by 2027

    The move comes after sustained pressure from the United States, Britain's most important intelligence partner, which has been pushing the UK to reverse Prime Minister Boris Johnson's January decision to grant Huawei a limited role in its 5G rollout.


    The British Government has banned Chinese technology giant Huawei from its 5G network and will force telcos to replace all the company's existing infrastructure in a move that could cost up to 2 billion pounds ($3.6 billion).

    The move comes after sustained pressure from the United States, Britain's most important intelligence partner, which has been pushing the UK to reverse Prime Minister Boris Johnson's January decision to grant Huawei a limited role in the country's 5G rollout.

    Digital and Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told the House of Commons on Tuesday (local time) that telecommunications companies would not be able to purchase Huawei components after December 31 and would need to remove existing Huawei gear by 2027.

    Mr Dowden said Britain's National Cyber Security Centre could no longer guarantee the stable supply of Huawei equipment after the US introduced fresh sanctions on the company's chip technology.

    "Following US sanctions against Huawei and updated technical advice from our cyber experts, the Government has decided it is necessary to ban Huawei from our 5G networks," he told Parliament.

    "No new kit is to be added from January 2021 and UK 5G networks will be Huawei free by the end of 2027.

    "This decisive move provides the industry with the clarity and certainty it needs to get on with delivering 5G across the UK."

    On Tuesday morning, Prime Minister Boris Johnson chaired a meeting of the UK's National Security Council (NSC) where the final decision to ban Huawei was made.

    Telcos will also be told to stop using Huawei in fixed-line fibre broadband within the next two years.

    "This has not been an easy decision, but it is the right one for the UK telecoms networks, for our national security and our economy, both now and indeed in the long run," Mr Dowden said.

    "By the time of the next election, we will have implemented in law, an irreversible path for the complete removal of Huawei equipment from our 5G networks."

    Mr Dowden said the decision would mean a delay to the roll-out of 5G across Britain by two to three years.

    Pressure had also come from Mr Johnson's own backbench, who earlier in the year tried to pass an amendment to ban Huawei from the UK's telecommunications infrastructure, citing fears the company could pass on sensitive information to the Chinese government.

    UK joins Australia and US in Huawei 5G ban

    In August 2018, Australia became the first nation in the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing network to ban Huawei and other companies from involvement in the country's 5G network.

    Other Five Eyes nations New Zealand and the US have also banned Huawei technology from its 5G networks, while Canada is yet to decide on allowing Huawei to provide equipment.

    Last month, two former officials told the ABC that cyber attacks on government and industry bodies were most likely being directed by China's premier intelligence agency in retaliation for the Huawei ban.

    In May, Australian security officials applauded Britain's decision to review Huawei's involvement in the 5G mobile network.

    Huawei has had a foothold in the UK's telecommunications network since the early 2000s after partnering with the country's largest provider BT, and currently provides equipment for its 2G, 4G and 5G networks as well as broadband technology.

    A spokesman for Huawei UK said the decision was "bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone", and that it threatens to "move Britain into the digital slow lane".

    "Instead of 'levelling up', the Government is levelling down and we urge them to reconsider," the spokesman said.

    "We remain confident that the new US restrictions would not have affected the resilience or security of the products we supply to the UK.

    "Regrettably our future in the UK has become politicised, this is about US trade policy and not security.

    "We will conduct a detailed review of what today’s announcement means for our business here and will work with the UK government to explain how we can continue to contribute to a better connected Britain."


    ABC




    © 2020 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Politics News
     04 Aug: UK diners treated to half-price meals ahead of feared second coronavirus wave
     04 Aug: Calls for New Zealanders to be proactive and read up before making their decision on the cannabis referendum
     04 Aug: Academics are warning penalties in the cannabis referendum bill could have an outsize impact on underage Maori
     04 Aug: The Mayor of Kapiti Coast's calling for more details from National's transport plan
     03 Aug: More than 100-million-dollars is being invested into protecting six regions against climate change
     03 Aug: The Government's funding an upgrade at the Chatham Islands airport runway, so larger aircraft can land
     03 Aug: Hopes for better mental health support for teachers and principals
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A big week ahead for two young Chiefs props More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    UK diners treated to half-price meals ahead of feared second coronavirus wave More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Claims a Police officer who used excessive force while arresting a man in Auckland last year didn't intend to harm the offender 17:07

    Accident and Emergency:
    Reports one person may be seriously injured after a crash between a motorbike and a car in Morrinsville, in the Waikato 16:57

    Entertainment:
    Kanye West is “concerned for the world” 16:44

    Basketball:
    The New Zealand Breakers are poised to announce the signing of former Atlanta Hawks NBA player Lamar Patterson for the next Australian basketball league season 16:37

    Rugby League:
    The uncertainty caused by Covid-19 is having a big impact on Warriors coaching and playing recruitment for next year 16:27

    Entertainment:
    Rita Ora is “constantly inspired” by the strong women in her life 16:14

    Entertainment:
    Prince Harry sometimes felt like a "spare wheel" when attending royal events with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 15:44

    Rugby:
    A big week ahead for two young Chiefs props 15:27

    Environment:
    A man's been fined 45-thousand-dollars by the Environment Court for illegal river works in Taranaki 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Idris Elba feels like he "dodged a bullet" after recovering from Covid-19 15:14


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd